Thursday 7 April 2011

House of Germs XXXX Stay Out

I feel like this is a sign we should hang on our door right now... like we need to be quarantined.  Have you seen the episode of Raising Hope where Maw Maw's germ infested self was revealed under the black light?  Well if you did, that's our house right now, so I would stay away.  Some days I wish we could put our family in a bubble, both to protect ourselves from others and to protect others from us.

There are two distinct schools of thought on germs.  The first is that we should be super cleaning to avoid contact with germs at all, and the second is that we should keep exposing ourselves to these microscopic organisms in hopes of developing a super immune system.  I'd like to think we'd fall somewhere in the middle.  Anyone who's seen our house knows we are not the super clean kind, but I most certainly don't go in search of a bug to increase our immune responses.

One of the difficulties we face as a family of 6 is that when we get sick, it's a friggen long ordeal.  As a single person, you get sick, you take the day or two off you need.  You sleep it all away and feel good as new 2 days later.  As a mother or father of 4, you watch it go through each of your children - usually one at time, doting on their every need for days on end.  Inevitably, you awake one day and find yourself suffering from the same symptoms you know and despise.  You make every effort possible to make sure everyone washes their hands.  You sanitize laundry every day.  You wipe down surfaces that may have been touched.  You make sure you only touch what you absolutely have to, all the while being sure to give all the cuddles and hugs necessary to make your children feel taken care of and loved.  All that, and it STILL goes through everyone, and you STILL end up getting sick.  It sucks and I'm tired, and I really don't want to puke again.  Will someone come take care of me?

Really though, I realize getting sick is inevitable.  We all get flus and colds.  I make certain that when my family is sick I limit contact with others so as not to spread the viruses and bacteria that knock us down so hard.  I don't expect others to stop living their lives because they are sick, I just wish we could stick a damn bubble over our friggen house sometimes.  Today is one of those days.

Oh dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment