Tuesday 5 April 2011

Working Mama

I go back to work officially in 4.5 weeks... May 9th to be exact, but I mosied on into the office today (at a ripe 10:15!) and stayed a staggering 8 hours before leaving at 6:15.  I'm tired, but not the physically, I've been up with the baby since 6 this morning kind of tired.  It's the I'm excited about what's to come kind of tired.  BIG DIFFERENCE!

Those of you who know me well know that I love my job.  Most of you know the position I was in 3 years ago, searching for the job that fit me after leaving a job that I hated but was qualified to do.  My schooling gave me a diploma in CAD/CAM Engineering Technology (really long name for someone who uses computers to help design and draft), but my passion lies in programming.  I've always loved math, and programming is like one giant math equation solving one giant problem.  I'm grinning from ear to ear as I write it, it makes me that happy...

I've had a position change within work, and when I return, I'm on to strictly IT and Programming.  No more structural design unless there is a dire need.  Some of you are probably shuddering at the thought, but I'm not.  I'm more excited than ever.  The company I work for is so fantastic that they created this position to suite my wants, desires, and, hopefully, innate talent.  I just hope I can return this "favor" with a decent program to use :).

That being said, I'm soooo going to miss my babies (yes, they are ALL babies!).  It was so tough leaving the house today knowing I wasn't going to see them for almost 10 whole hours (factoring in the drive), but at least I got to spend 3 precious hours with them before heading off at 9.  I thought of them periodically throughout the day, managed to engage everyone I spoke to in a conversation about diapers (yes - every one!), said the word poop at least 10 times, and managed to find and print out a new side snapping diaper pattern (sorry ENGCOMP - I used a couple of pieces of paper ;)).  It's going to be a big adjustment, but I know it's for the best.  Being a mom and working requires a tough balance to be found, but I know we'll figure it out - we always have, and I think we are all better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment