Sunday 20 February 2011

Change isn't always bad... right?

So.... I won. 

It's been pretty interesting this last week - grabbing sleep in whatever bed or couch we can.  We moved Graysen over to our bedroom so that Reno could begin his Daddy sleep bootcamp with him (very successful I might add), and we didn't want Eloїc to have to listen to any potential crying that might come with this.  Graysen was a trooper, and within 2 nights was sleeping pretty much through the night.  Everyone got sick after this, and with all the coughing, we just kept G in our bedroom.  I can't sleep in the room with him (I'm convinced he can smell the milk), and Reno can't either because he snores something wicked sometimes.  Reno's been bunking on the floor on a twin air mattress in Eloїc's bedroom, while I've been bouncing around the house.  Now we're expecting.  Not the baby sort - we are expecting J and P to come stay for a couple of nights this week with their 3 girls and newest little boy. 

This all got me to thinking about how nice it was before when we had more than enough rooms for the number of people in the house.  I liked having a spare bedroom that Reno could slip off to if he was snoring.  I liked having somewhere for company to stay when visiting that didn't require a week long adventure of pestering Aurora to clean her room.  I just missed having a room that was there "just in case".  This week, I really could have used this room.

Obviously, with 4 children in a 1200 sq. ft. house, that's just not possible without having them bunk together.  I'm fine with the two littlest boys sharing a room.  We've tried Denali and Eloїc sharing a room, but that ultimately didn't work out, and it's just not fair to expect a boy and girl to share a room at 7 and 8 years old. 

The basement space that isn't currently consumed with bedrooms, bathrooms, storage, etc. is pretty uncultivated.  It's basically a not-so-big open space with a couch, toys, area rug, and TV/Video game area.  The kids like it down there, and spend a fair amount of time in the space.  It was working for us quite well, and the area was very comfortable... BUT there was potential for more.  There was a portion of the area that was largely used for storage that could be better utilized.  The whole space could be divided into two parts, and we could make one into another bedroom.  Was it worth the effort?  Was it worth changing what we liked and risk not liking what we transformed it into? My resounding YES, was met with a flat out NO from Reno.  I, of course, had to see how steadfast he was in the answer :)

We bantered back and forth, which elevated to a light yell.  Aurora was watching us argue and laughing all the while.  By the time we were done, we hadn't agreed.  I felt defeated and gave up... but so did he, so being the opportunist I am, I jumped on his feelings of defeat.  We've changed the spaces around, and while I'm not totally convinced either of us are going to like it, we are going to give it a shot for a while....

In the meantime, I'll count this as a win ;)

I'll update with pictures once it's a bit more finished.

2 comments:

  1. Well I didn't realize it was a competition... but I'll give it to you anyway honey. I'm going to have to start keeping score.
    It's one of those "pick your battles" type of compromises. I also know that the next time we have a disagreement of this nature, my chances of success are much greater. I will put this "loss" in my back pocket for future use when the time is right. muuuhahahah... uggh."cough"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to self, If I decide to start blogging, I will make sure Russ doesn't get to read it. lol

    ReplyDelete